ш] 0/" Cztium, now destroyed 25
Remains exist of ancient aqueducts, proving that even in those old days it was necessary to bring in the water from distant places, for that of the town is still not good to drink.
The city was surrounded by a wide ditch, which is now under cultivation but can be traced. On its edge are the remains of two buildings, each formed of three large stones joined together: none such are found in the neighbourhood, so that it is clear they were transported hither from certain hills ten miles away. [See "A Pre-historic Building at Salamis," Journal of Hellenic Studies, Vol. iv. 1883.]