HISTORY ETHNOGRAPHY NATURE WINE-MAKING SITE MAP
Selected and rare materials, excerpts and observations from ancient, medieval and contemporary authors, travelers and researchers about Cyprus.
 
 
 
 
uses Google technology and indexes only and selectively internet - libraries having books with free public access
 
FAMAGUSTA AND AROUND
FAMAGUSTA AND AROUND
Alasiya. Encomi

Alasiya. Encomi
Enkomi/Tuzla, in north-western Cyprus, a village near Famagusta, is the site of an important Bronze Age city, possibly the capital of Alasiya. From ca. the 16th century BC, it was an important trading center for copper. From the 13th century, there are competing towns along the south coast. From ca. 1200 BC, Enkomi was fortified. After an earthquake ca. 1050 BC, the site was abandoned, resulting in the rise of Salamis

LETTERS FROM THE KING OF ALASIYA

Salamin
Kantara Castle

Kantara Castle - Byzantine foundation with Lusignan fortification; dismantled by the Venetians
Read more...

MALLOCK W. In an enchanted island. London, 1889

MALLOCK W. In an enchanted island. London, 1889

 

 

Places of interest

The Walls and The Othello's Tower - constructed by Venetians on Lusignan foundation
The Latin Church of St Peter and Paul, mid 14th c.
The Royal Palace or Palazzo del Proveditore - now only the Venetian facade remains
The Latin Cathedral of St. Nicholas - early 14th c., now Lala Mustafa Pasha mosque
St. George of Latins - late 13th c., and ruinous
St George of the Greeks & Ayios Symeon - the original Byzantine Cathedral
Ayia Thecla Church
Ayia Napa Monastery
Monastery of Apostolos Varnavas - 18th c., buildings; the Apostole's tomb
Basilicas of Ayios Epiphanios and the Kampanopetra
The Church of the Panayia - at Paralimni
The Monastery of Panayia Khortajotissa
Agia Marina Church - 15th century, barrel-vaulted with wall-painting
Archangelos Michail Church - restored 1883
Ayios Andronikos Church - at Phrenaros, a small chapel
St. Mamas Church - possibly 12th century, 16th c. wall painting
Church of the Transfiguration - history anknown? but rebuilt 1553
Agios Iakovos Chapel - 15th c., at Trikomo
Panayia Theotokos - early 12th c., wall-painting, at Trikomo
Panayia Kanakaria - early Christian basilika remodelled 1160; at Lythrankomi

 
 
 
Our banners   Bibliography   Global Folio
All materials from this site are permitted for non commersial use unless otherwise indicated.
If you reduplicate documents from here you have to indicate Cyprus Explorer as a source and place link to us.
Created at June 2008
              Яндекс.Метрика